Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Cheater Vegetarian Chilli


The hardest work in this recipe (if you wish to dignify it by calling it a recipe) is turning the handle of the can opener. This quick vegetarian chilli is perfect for a night when you can't be bothered to pick up the phone to dial Domino's, but you've been feeling guilty about eating a full English breakfast for four days straight whilst on holiday in Salisbury (Ahem. Not that I would know anything about that.) and want to eat a bit healthier.

Ingredients
1 T. olive oil
1 c. diced white onion (I used frozen diced onion for this recipe, which is one of the greatest cook's cheats EVAR. Stock up on frozen diced onions. It will make your life better.)
1 T. minced jarred garlic
2 cans red kidney beans
1 can chick peas
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can yellow corn
1 T. fresh minced hot pepper (because I had it lying around)
Seasoning, to taste: oregano, basil, cumin (goes especially well in chilli), salt & pepper, chilli powder, cracked California bay leaves
  • In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and sizzle for about five minutes, until onion is A) no longer frozen (because frozen is not a taste you should go for in chilli) and B) translucent-ish.
  • Add garlic and minced hot pepper (if using) and cook, stirring, for another minute or two.
  • Meanwhile, open your cans.
  • Drain (some people rinse as well) the beans and chick peas and dump 'em in. Drain the corn, too, and toss that in. DON'T drain the diced tomatoes - splosh the whole can in.
  • Stir.
  • Add the seasoning. A little-a this, a little-a that.
  • Pop on a lid to the pan and simmer for about a half-hour, stirring occasionally. If you're getting hungry and the chilli looks too watery, take the lid off and crank up the heat a notch to let the liquid boil off some.
  • Serve over brown rice, with grated cheese and a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt if you're feeling fancy.
This chilli is even better the next day, so make sure you save enough for lunch. Serves at least four.

1 comment:

  1. I've just noticed that you commented on my blog about a month ago, I am officially useless, sorry chick, I wasn't ignoring you.
    I'm not much of one for jogging, I've heard Ben nag to many people about jogging, something about not being good for the knees (you can tell I pay a lot of attention). Also, I don't run well, I get to the end of the road and look and sound like I'm about to die, it's really not a good look on me!
    Have you figured out the clothing/jogging issue yet?

    ReplyDelete