Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Ethical Foodie Blogging

http://foodethics.wordpress.com/the-code/

I've wondered about the ethics of modifying, using and posting recipes online; where does one draw the line at crediting sources? Generally speaking, if I make something up off the top of my head, I'm not a good enough cook to have created something so spectacularly original that it hasn't been done before in many different ways (let me tell you about my baked chicken from the other night....oh, wait - are you snoring?). I'll often glance at several different recipes for the same dish and come up with something that's just slightly tweaked. Should a foodie blogger cite all potential sources? There are thousands of people who enjoy food who post recipes online around the world - where does the idea of creative commons come in? How much should we care?

Also of note: the section about reviewing restaurants and the link to the Association of Food Journalists online code of ethics.

I'm curious about your opinions.

2 comments:

  1. Creative Commons applied to recipes on the internet.

    This is an example of why you're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, i'll do my best Elvis impersonation and say, "Thank you! Thank you very much!"

    ReplyDelete